Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookies...and all about us Bennion girls :)

This is my go-to chocolate chip recipe.  It never fails.  It always works.  (That's especially saying a lot coming frome me!)  I inherited this recipe from my sister Nancy, (who I'll share a funny story about in just a second).  I would easily say her husband and boys are the world's biggest cookie carnasaurs.  She is an accomplished cook and this is easily their favorite cookie recipe. 

Right after Rhitt and I were first married, I remember we went home to Wyoming for a weekend to help my Dad and sister's family gather their cattle from off the range.  For whatever reason we all split up and I ended up with my sister's husband and she ended up with my husband.  We had all been looking for a really wild cow that day that looked a lot like the one pictured below.


Seriously.

Coincidently, Nancy and Rhitt found her but they were miles away from the rest of us and the truck/trailer; There were no fences or corrals in sight...and might I mention that this cow was ready to kill the first thing that paid the slightest attention to her...

So my sister turned to my husband, (who obviously didn't know her well at that point) and said, "Rhitt, what do you think about dragging er' back to the trailer?  I think I could throw a dally and head er' , if you wanna heel er'?" 

I remind you......Rhitt doesn't really rope cattle.  Nancy doesn't know how to rope cattle.    None of us know how to rope at all, really???
But anywho, I guess the rest of the story goes, my husband just looked at her like she was crazy...and very politely said, "You Bennion women are nuts."

So much to my sister's dismay, they didn't rope the nasty raggidy old cow that day....but my husband learned an important lesson about us Bennion girls...... That there isn't much we don't think we can't do!  And that's why I love my sisters :)

Nancy's Chocolate Chip Cookies


(makes 4 dozen)

3 cubes of butter (no margarine here my friends!)
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 cups brown sugar
3 eggs
2 Tbls vanilla
6 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
2 cups choc chips

Cream sugars, eggs, and vanilla together.  Add dry ingredients and then the chocolate chips.  Drop by rounded tablespoon full on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 365 for 12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. 

This recipes is great halved too (that's what I ususally do).

3 comments:

  1. Yummy......Are you bringing some this weekend to share? :)

    Janaan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to try this. My mom makes amazing cookies but of course mine never turn out near as good even though I do the exact same thing. Kevin asked me if I would makes homemade cookies instead of the pre-made ones. What a stinker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessie: I love that story. The cookies look delicious.
    Your Buddy Kristine

    ReplyDelete