Monday, August 8, 2011

Evil Chicken & a bittersweet weekend for the Hamiltons...

Hands down I am one of the biggest animal lovers you will ever meet.  Growing up I had countless pets, each special in their own way.  Living on ranch however, you soon learn that ranch pets have the happiest dispositions and shortest life-spans.  I was reminded of that last night, as our sweet little cow-dog, Abby passed away.  She was an amazing dog with the funniest personality....until that point Rhitt and I had a great weekend up in the Hills.  We spent our time rounding up our older bulls and bringing them home.  I'm going to miss Abby (pictured below), she will be hard to replace.  I'm just greatful she got to be our special cow dog for the four short years she lived.  Thanks again Abs.


So after a post like that...I still hope your in the mood to eat...

I got this recipe from one of my co-workers.  I really like it for these reasons:

1) Its easy (a must in 90% of my recipes)

2) It reminds me a lot of the indian restaurant I lived across from when I was at Utah State...

3) It's name......."Evil Chicken?"

4) Bacon....need I say more?

To begin; cut up appr. 1 lb of bacon into 1 inch pieces or less and fry them like so:


Once your bacon has cooked to "most chewy, yet slightly crunchy", remove heat and set aside in a bowl with paper towels, removing as much grease as possible.

This next step is important!  With the same pan, remove 95% of the bacon grease and return to heat.  Add appr. 2 lbs of bite-sized raw chicken. It's important to remove most of the bacon grease, as this flavor can overwhelm the dish if you leave too much!
Season your chicken with kosher salt and fresh pepper.

It's here I like to have a little fun: I added a few mushrooms to saute with the chicken. (Loved the mushrooms!!!)
Next, turn down the heat slightly and add the following:
All of your bacon that you set aside earlier
1 cup of Brown Sugar
3 1/2 Tbs of Chili powder
Make sure the meat mixture is evenly coated before your add 1/2 cup of water and 1-2 Tbs of cornstarch (this makes it saucey!

Let the mixture simmer to thicken the sauce, while stirring to prevent burning....and wa-la!  Serve over cooked rice.  It is de-lish!

Evil Chicken
1 lb of cooked bite-sized bacon
2 lb of chicken, cut into pieces
8 oz mushrooms (optional)
3 1/2 Tbs of Chili Powder
1 C. brown sugar
1/2 - 1 C water
1-2 Tbs cornstarch

2 Cups of cooked white rice

1 comment: