Sunday, October 16, 2011

My Favorite Enchiladas with Creamy Corn Cilantro Sauce...and why I love October...

October. 
If I could pick one month out of the year that is the busiest for me it would easily be October...and I love it. 

Whats funny though, is that I used to dread October. 
October meant that my husband would either be gone for many days looking for cows or hunting (I suspect it's mostly the later, but hey, I just believe whatever the guy tells me :)
Which meant many nights alone at home after work.  I hated it.

But now, not only do I embrace it, I look forward to it.

For one, I don't have to cook; I can eat cereal to my heart's content :)

I can watch Glee and Project Runway as much as I want; instead of football:)

I can spread my crafts/beads/paint all over the house and not worry about him stepping on a sewing needle....cause its ugly when he does!!!

And laundry???  The laundry pile shrinks by a measly 75% when he's gone, I swear!

But October usually does make me appreciate having the guy around.  As funny as the Kurt Hummel is on Glee, nobody can make me laugh like the spouse does.  So when he is home I try to impress him with recipes like the one below.  It was a contest winner for Taste of Home.  It was originally made with Turkey, but being a cattle rancher's wife, well, turkey is forbidden around here :).  But I'm sure it tastes good either way.  So enjoy...it is delish my friends!!!

Terrific Turkey Enchiladas Recipe
http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Terrific-Turkey-Enchiladas

Ingredients:

SAUCE:
1-1/4 cups frozen corn, thawed 
1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies 
1 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves 
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream 
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper 

ENCHILADAS:
3/4 pound ground hamburger (or turkey)
1/3 cup chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
3/4 cup salsa
1 tablespoon cornmeal
2 teaspoons chili powder
1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
6 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
1-1/4 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided
1/4 cup sliced ripe olives

DIRECTIONS:

Place the first six ingredients in a food processor; cover and pulse until blended. Set the sauce aside

In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic in oil over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Remove from the heat; stir in the salsa, cornmeal and seasonings.

Spoon 1/3 cup meat mixture down the center of each tortilla; top with 2 tablespoons cheese. Roll up and place seam side down in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Spoon corn mixture over the top; sprinkle with olives and remaining cheese.

Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through. This makes about 3-4 servings.

2 comments:

  1. Jess, these sound so yummy! I love reading your blog, you're so funny! And I will admit it with you, Glee is awesome! And when my hubby's away I watch shows like that too! :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. did you seriously put that turkey could be used in place of the beef????? I am starting to worry about you...

    ReplyDelete